Sunday, September 18, 2011

Paycheck Exchange Program


Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the whole idea of getting paid to do a job meant to be that you actually DO the job? I mean you show up, you have tasks to do, you do them, they pay you? Right? Isn't that what is supposed to happen? Typically, when hired the tasks are laid out before you, you are trained in how to perform said tasks and then you are expected to do those tasks without constant reminders or prompts from your supervisors, customers or co-workers.

I understand that most of the business world operates in this manner. However, when I am dealing with my son's case worker and rep-payee, which are different individuals, they seemed to have missed this vital part of the paycheck exchange program. I have worked as case manager and rep-payee myself at the same time. How avant-guarde of me! I know the work involved, did the work involved, and got the paycheck, which honestly at times did not seem like nearly enough to compensate me for my efforts, but still I did the job. Even for those clients that had families that were involved, I did not cut corners. Most of my co-workers had the same work ethic, those that didn't were dismissed and encouraged to find work somewhere else, like maybe as the gas station selling cigarettes.

My son lives independently and is high functioning. He needs prompts on housework, organizational skills and help in managing his money. He lives independently because I found his apartment, his case manager couldn't even find ones to look at that were in his price range or near civilization. After two months of waiting, I found one within a week, conveniently located to public transportation, shopping and his social network. Not difficult. His case manager is supposed to drop by on scheduled once a week visits to remind or help my son with cleaning, laundry, basic housekeeping functions. My son sees his case worker once a month, twice if he is able to convince him to take him grocery shopping during inclement weather. Surprise! Mom gets to take him shopping, and mom gets to bug him about the condition of the apartment instead of having social time.

When I managed his money, his bills were paid promptly, his phone was always on, and if he needed me, I was a phone call away. I turned over the re-payee status because I just wanted to concentrate on being his mom. Not to mention, I have other things to do besides keep track of two households. So, I was told that this agency would gladly take over the re-payee and relieve me of this burden. We signed up, sounded great. In the last twelve months, I have had to pay his phone bill seven out of twelve times. His phone has been turned off, now keep in mind, this is his only phone, and his only other bill besides his rent which includes all utilities, tv and computer. So this person has to pay two bills a month for my son, along with spending money and they can't seem to do that. Guess who gets to assume the re-payee status again?

Yes, I am on a rant. I understand that not all social workers are this errant in performing their work for the paycheck exchange program. After several complaints regarding these two individuals lack luster performance, the agency in question has suggested that I let them handle the situation and step back. I have told them, that once they prove to me that they can handle the situation, I will indeed step back and happily resume my role as mother of the year, until then, no dice. I think when we have our meeting, I will suggest that I become part of the agencies paycheck exchange program since I am doing the work of two of their employees for free. I wonder how they will receive THAT suggestion?

No comments:

Post a Comment